THE BROOK THEATER
10 Hamilton Street, Bound Brook, NJ 08805
The Brook Theater was constructed as a vaudeville house in 1927 by builder Alexander Morecraft, and was designed by architect William E. Lehman of Newark, NJ, a prominent and prolific designer of buildings and theaters in the New York-New Jersey area, including the Count Basie Theater in Red Bank, which is still in use. The Brook made the transition to motion pictures and operated continuously as a performing arts center and first-run movie house until the flood of 1999. Prominent performers in the past include W.C. Fields, Jack Benny, Sophie Tucker, Bennie Goodman, Gene Krupa, and Tony Bennett. The auditorium plasterwork was restored to its 1927 appearance in 2017. The Brook Theater is on the National Register of Historic Places.
Sculpture: Los Mariachis
This is a good example of the artist’s life and preferences being shown through his art. Seward Johnson and his wife have always been big fans of Mariachi music and have had players perform at many of their celebratory events. The music is spirit-lifting and puts everyone in a good mood! The elaborate detailing in the musicians’ clothing and in the guitars is uncanny. This sculpture has been on exhibit at the annual Festival of Mariachi in Los Angeles.
The Seward Johnson Atelier
Check their website here for the latest listings of upcoming events and programs.