The Place To Dwell
In 1909, the Bound Brook Board of Trade published Bound Brook, The Place to Dwell.
Looking back you will see that much of Bound Brook has changed, but so much has remained the same. We are a small town, we are close-knit, and we care. From the long time business owner to the lifelong resident and all those in between, we have what many towns lack – community. We are poised once again for great things.
On page seven of this book you will read, ~ A wise man says, “He wants to live in a place that not only was alive one hundred years ago, but is alive and growing today.” 106 years later, we are still alive and growing. We are still the place to dwell!
Bound Brook Train Station – #17 – National & New Jersey Registers of Historic Places
198 Main Street NR 6-22-84 SR 3-17-84 Constructed in 1913 by the Reading Railroad, this Flemish-bond brick structure has a brick balustrade and limestone trim. It was designed by William I. Houghton, architect of the Philadelphia and Reading railroad in the Classical Revival style with Colonial Revival influences. The platform canopies are hung from the building and attached to it by lionhead features. The waiting room has a terrazzo floor and quarried-tile wainscoting. The station is leased from NJ Transit by Mama Rosina’s Restaurant.
Brook Theatre – #18 – National & New Jersey Registers of Historic Places
10 Hamilton Street NR 5-5-14 SR 2-27-14 The Brook Theater is the only surviving Vaudeville-era movie house in Somerset County. It was a critical part of the entertainment and social life for residents of Bound Brook and the surrounding rural area. The theater had an original seating capacity of 1,300 and could accommodate New York City productions. The marquee and blade signs and the front façade have been recently restored. The theater now utilizes a 1927 Wurlitzer pipe organ, which replaced the original destroyed by flooding. The theater is part of the Morecraft Building a small commercial development along Hamilton Street originally consisting of seven store fronts. It was constructed in 1927 by Alexander Morecraft, a local builder who also built the Bound Brook Memorial Library and the Bound Brook High School. The architect for the development was W. H. Lehman of Newark; the interior of the theater was designed by Vincent Marilette of New York. The theater is currently operated by the Somerset County Cultural Arts Center, Inc. For further information go to www.brookarts.org.